[Nottingham] Linux Evening classes

Jon Masters nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 16:13:00 2003

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, david joseph wrote:
>
> > I think evening classes are a really excellent idea.  I'd be interested
> > in attending and I'd do whatever I could to help.
> >
> > Regards, David
> >

> sorry to be the awkward one but...

Please do be Duncan. There are a whole number of issues to tackle before
this kind of thing can happen - but I will make one suggestion in favour
of a distribution like RedHat in that I am a hard core Debianite some of
the time but willing to accept that version 9 is very very nice.

> Where would we get a 'computer lab' of Linux based machines to run such a
> course with ? (queue Dilbert teaching Elbonians how to program...)

That is an interesting question...perhaps we could ask one of the
local Universities about it? Obviously UoN is ruled out as they would not
know a room filled with GNU/Linux machines if I dropped one o them
Nottingham Trent might be more enlightened and willing to assist.

Laptops or bring-you-own-computer arrangements are also possible as indeed
would be hiring a room of machines and using a bootable CD...oouch yep.

Jon.