[Nottingham] Linux Evening classes

Phil Lakin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jul 4 16:24:00 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 16:03, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:
> > On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, david joseph wrote:
> >
> > > I think evening classes are a really excellent idea.  I'd be interested
> > > in attending and I'd do whatever I could to help.
> > >
> > > Regards, David
> > >

> > sorry to be the awkward one but...
>
> Please do be Duncan. There are a whole number of issues to tackle before
> this kind of thing can happen - but I will make one suggestion in favour
> of a distribution like RedHat in that I am a hard core Debianite some of
> the time but willing to accept that version 9 is very very nice.
>
> > Where would we get a 'computer lab' of Linux based machines to run such a
> > course with ? (queue Dilbert teaching Elbonians how to program...)
>
> That is an interesting question...perhaps we could ask one of the
> local Universities about it? Obviously UoN is ruled out as they would not
> know a room filled with GNU/Linux machines if I dropped one o them
> Nottingham Trent might be more enlightened and willing to assist.

I used to be a senior technician in the Department of Computing at
Nottingham Trent. Linux / Unix isn't in general student use in the
department, but Solaris is used quite heavily in some research
departments. A minority of the lecturers are Linux hobbyists, and are
probably reading this right now.

The old computer society which also used to be run by me had a variety
of Linux machines available for use, but I believe since my departure
that they have all been turned off and 'disappeared'. If anyone at the
Department was interested, I am more than willing to give a hand in
helping again.

I have heard rumours that Linux / Unix was going to be brought back into
the curriculum in the new merged School of Computing and Mathematics,
but is this another rumour? Anyone willing to check it out? Would it be
a good idea to combine a University module with a local LUG ?

> Laptops or bring-you-own-computer arrangements are also possible as indeed
> would be hiring a room of machines and using a bootable CD...oouch yep.
>
> Jon.

Phil