[Nottingham] Linux Evening classes

Paul Milazzo nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jul 5 08:47:00 2003

Derek Huskisson wrote:

>On Fri, 2003-07-04 at 15:43, Dan Mackdermott wrote:
>

>>Just another tuppenny's(?) worth...
>>
>>Would we be teaching them to be a sysadmin or a user?  Applications, in my
>>mind, would be totally different depending on what level they are at.
>>
>>Maybe it would be an idea to split into two levels, 'user' and then
>>'sysadmin'.
>>
>>Just a thought!  ;-)
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Dan
>>

>How about learning by doing a project. Say, the sysadmins could build
>and set up a terminal server, (plenty of scope here-- DHCP, networking
>the linux way, messing around with X, authentication etc etc), the users
>could sit in the bar for a few evenings, then they would get their
>turn.  Would require one reasonable spec'd machine and any old crap for
>the terminals.

Im all for something along these lines, the more practical hands on, the
better - i may be able able to supply premises and possibly kit  - it
wouldnt be ideal but better than not having kit or lugging kit from
location to location.  A regular practical lab would be a good way of
teaching/learning/problem solving/developing etc.
Laters
Paul