[Nottingham] Linux InstallFest / Awareness Day 1st November

Duncan John Fyfe nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 14 09:36:00 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Duncan John Fyfe wrote:

> Hello again subset of everyone,
>
> As some of you may remember we had a little discussion about an install fest...
>
> Well, thanks to Robert & co.  we have a venue booked for Saturday 1st November 2003.
>
> Deatail are:
> 	Green's Mill and Science Centre
> 	Windmill Lane, Sneinton, Nottingham NG2 4QB
> 	()

Forking my own thread, probably bad form but life seems to continue, somehow...

Ok folks,
Robert showed me the host site for this on Saturday.  I didn't get to see inside
but from the outside the room is probably ~ 18' x 10' ie. not as big as some of our plans.

We recon we could get 8 demo PC'c comfortably around the outside of the room.

Given that the blurb didn't mention 'installing' and all the niggles related to it (backups,
hardware...) I would be more inclined to run a "Linux Awareness Day" rather
than an install fest.  Give people a look at Linux, let them take away a copy of Knoppix
and/or some other distro they can try at home.
Anyone who is really interested will no doubt get back in touch and if they need it
we can help them install from there.

With 8 demo PC's I'd aim the day at the home user.  Many of the applications (eg openoffice)
are the same as would be wanted by a small business.  If we want to do a "Linux for Business
Awareness day" let's do it on a different day at a bigger venue (if we can get one)  and we
can get in touch with the local chamber or commerce etc.

Also, Robert will check but we are getting the room on the basis of being a community based
project.  They may not be too happy if people turned up and started selling their wares.

Questions, comment ?

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                          Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,