[Nottingham] wireless 54Mbps for desktop PC

Simon Amor nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jul 14 22:37:00 2003

Hi,

  To avoid having to wire up parts of the house, I figured I'd look
into wireless networking. Have now tried both a Linksys Wireless-G PCI
Adapter (WMP54G-UK) and a Sitecom PCI Card which runs at 54Mbps.
Unfortunately both cards appear to have the same chipset - a Broadcom
one. This appears to be one which isn't supported in Linux (yet?) even
though Linksys have linux drivers for the same kind of card in their
wireless routers.

Without buying one of every possible kind of wireless 54Mbps card and
annoying PCWorld, Maplin, etc can anyone recommend a specific model
which definitely works with Linux and deals with 802.11g

A price, supplier, product code and possibly a URL would be much
appreciated.

  Simon
--
Simon Amor   simon@shoe.bocks.com