[Nottingham] Dual Athlon MP : Any Experience on Power Supplies?

Martin nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Jul 15 17:15:01 2003

Robert Davies wrote:
[...]
 > So I wonder what P/S ratings folk need to use in practice in dual
 > Athlon servers, preferably running a couple of disks plus CD/DVD-ROM
 > off it?  The 440BX dualie system ran fine off a 300W Sparkle P/S
 > (common OEM cheapo make), with more devices enabled, so I thought 60
 > or 75 W extra per CPU was a plenty generous power budget.

Athlons take a lot of amps from certain supply rails. Depends on the
motherboard CPU supplies as to how the PSU gets hammered. The overall
wattage usually isn't an issue. The peak amps on each supply rail can be
a problem...

Also, take care with the connectors. Only a very small resistance can
cause significant voltage drop and heating.

Good luck,

martin@ml1.co.uk