[Nottingham] laptop for linux - suggestions

Andy Davidson nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Jun 13 20:48:01 2003

At , you wrote:
>I have some money to spend on a laptop computer (about 1 grand), and of
>course I want to run our favourite OS on it instead of that glass thingy
>(grin).

Insight are selling Thinkpad r40e laptops for 600 plus VAT at the moment (I
can put you in touch with the Account Manager I use if you're interested.)

They're lovely laptops, my employer's bought me one, and it's light enough
to go everywhere with me, and hasn't left my person for weeks (which is my
#1 priority for a laptop computer -- it has to be light enough to go
everywhere otherwise there's no point in owning it.)  Battery life is good
too (about 2.5 to 3 hours) which is my #2 concern.

It feels like a hardy machine as well, but I've not dropped it yet...

That would leave you three hundred quid to spend on upgrades (it comes with
256MB of Ram you could treat yourself to some more.  Or perhaps an external
HDD for ferrying large files around when need be.)

Regards, Andy Davidson
<andy@nosignal.org>