[Nottingham] laptop for linux - suggestions

Tom Bird nottingham at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Jun 14 00:58:00 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, Keith Binley wrote:
> On Friday 13 June 2003 15:24, Tom Bird wrote:

> > I have a Dell Inspiron 4100 which runs Debian unstable just fine.  It's
> > got an Nvidia geforce 2 go, which was the only thing that caused me any
> > problems whatsoever (nvidia cards need a binary driver for Stuff), but
> > even then, it was pretty easy to get around.
> >
> > Wireless LAN, compact flash reader, usb webcam, all works fine.  It even
> > speed steps from 733 to 1.13ghz when you stick the power cable in.

> what wireless products are you running?  I have a corega pccl-11 and from
> speaking to the corega tech support they were pretty certain that thay
> haven't seen any drivers for linux..

Buffalo wavelan cards.  11mbit/s, work with the 'orinoco' driver.  Just
about any PCMCIA type wavelan card will work with either orinoco or
prism2, these come with the kernel.

2.4.21 out, for anyone who cares.  I've just made some .deb packages of it
for my server at work, but i wont install and reboot until i'm stood next
to it.

--
Tom  [www.hambule.co.uk] [tom@hambule.co.uk]