[Nottingham] A newbie speaks... nervously

Joe Wrigley joe at wrigley.me.uk
Thu Nov 27 20:33:46 GMT 2003

> No, no, speak your mind(!).  If by cack you mean does not have a
> flashy GUI etc then you should note that you are using the back end
> and it is designed to have a GTK2 (graphical) front end run on it.
> This is in addition to things like braille readers and serial consoles.

No, I actually prefer the woody installer. I mean cack in that it did
not work, basically. I admit that it's pre-release so I should expect
too much, but basic functioning would be nice.

> Though if you really want eye candy I believe that Redhat's Anaconda
> installer is being ported to Debian and way well be an alternative in
> sarge on powerPC and x86 (and x86 is almost certainly you).

That might be nice.

> That said if you want a easy deb installer (cos both options are
> confusing for a newbie) then use Knoppix.  3.2 has gone on about 10
> machines as smooth as silk for me, not tried 3.3 yet.

I like debian, and I still use it on my gateway machine, but I couldn't
bear the aging gnome/kde on woody or the broken packages on sarge for my
desktop. I'm now happily cohabiting with a rather swish gentoo system
despite its lack of an eye candy installer :-P

> Links are availible if you want them.

I did try morphix, but didn't have much luck. I think my combined
optical nastiness drive is a bit screwed, so I ended up installing
gentoo by mounting the iso as a loopback device and installing from a
minimal woody installation. Bizarrely, it went pretty smoothly!

Joe