[Nottingham] Mandrake 9.2 simple firewall

Darren Fuller darren.fuller at ntlworld.com
Sat Apr 3 09:20:18 BST 2004

James Gibbon wrote:

>I've just had broadband installed (an NTL cable modem, 600K connection),
>and it's working nicely over USB with Mandrake 9.2, although I haven't
>managed to get it to start up on boot yet (but more of that in another
>mail perhaps).
>
>I'm trying to use Mandrake's firewall GUI, drakfirewall, to set up a
>simple firewall so I can leave the connection up for long periods of
>time.  I believe it uses shorewall and iptables under the covers, but I
>have no experience with either.  I don't want to serve anything except
>ftp, on an ethernet connection to my laptop, which is why I'm using the
>USB connection to the cable modem).
>
>Unfortunately, the only possible option which will leave my internet
>connection working is "Everything (no firewall)" !
>
>Grateful for any suggestions ..
>
>James
>
>PS many thanks to Duncan for suggestions re: wireless networking
>following my previous mail.

Give guarddog a try (http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/), I use
it with MDK9.2 and not had any problems with it.  It allows you to
simply tick the protocols you want to allow through, plus there's
functionality for groups.  Oh just dont forget to tick DNS like I might
have done (D'oh!) otherwise you wont be able to do anything to useful.

Daz

--

www.myvoicemyvote.com - Giving the people a voice