[Nottingham] Debian download

Steve Caddy dyn at m0ng.com
Tue Apr 13 23:46:53 BST 2004

With RH9 nearing the end of its supported lifetime, I'm looking to move
on to another distro. I'm going out all open minded, and at the suggestion
of lots of people, I'm going to give debian a go.

The only trouble is... jigdo is among the most user unfriendly tools
I've ever had to use. I started out by reading
http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/ and then I tried to get
http://non-us.cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/3.0_r2/jigdo/i386/woody-i386-1_NONUS.jigdo
but it failed complaining it couldn't find the template file (which is
obviously there) with errors such as:

--23:27:41--
http://us.cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/3.0_r2/jigdo/i386/woody-i386-1_NONUS.template
  (try: 2) => `woody-i386-1_NONUS.template'
Connecting to us.cdimage.debian.org[208.185.25.38]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
Read error (No such file or directory) in headers.
Retrying.

I've read the FAQ, and this isn't covered, and the HOWTO hasn't enlightened
me either.

Any clues, before I move on (and/or start asking for ready cooked CDs)?

Steve

--
"Hardware - the part of the computer you kick when the software fails"
Email: steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com

---