[Nottingham] SAMBA websharing

Graeme Fowler graeme at graemef.net
Wed Apr 14 14:49:01 BST 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Martin wrote:
> David Wolfson wrote:
> > Is it possible to set up SAMBA to allow windows webaccess to mapped
> > drives?  Having just got a broadband connection I'm trying to sort
>
> However, you should look at tunnelling/encrypting whatever shared mounts
> with ssh or whatever.

Or... investigate the use of a VPN server on your Linux box at work (even
better, install a new machine with a VPN server on it) and restrict access to
authenticated users over the VPN. It's reasonably easy to install PoPToP or an
IPSEC VPN server these days, and with Windows pointy-clickety interface it's
even easier to use them...

...the only gotcha I can see with any of this is falling foul of the combined
JANET or nottingham.ac.uk Acceptable Use Policies. If you ask nicely, you
might even find that there's already a VPN server on campus that you can use.