[Nottingham] Magazine distros

Jey Davis techr at whatnotts.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 19:29:48 BST 2004

nottingham at mailman.lug.org.ukRobert Macaraeg wrote:
 > I was at a newsagent and saw two Linux magazines with
 > each with a 3 cd or dvd of the new Madrake and SuSE.
 > Has anybody tried a distro this way?
 > Thanks in advance,
 > Bob

Greetings Most Venerable Linux Bods,

(Hi everyone - his is my first post).

Yes, I had a beautiful install of Mandrake 9.2 from the Linux Format mag
late last year. No problems.
If you go that road you will need to install all the security fixes.
This might mean buying membership of the Mandrake Club or buying the
relevant SuSE deal.

If you are only evaluating perhaps you should consider installing
apt4rpm + synaptic. You should find that apt4rpm comes with
details of servers which offer free downloads or you could ask someone
here of course :)

Security updates would be a simple as:
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade