[Nottingham] Trying to build a computer... compter fair ?

chris stones chris.stones at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 21 14:34:10 GMT 2004

Hello guys, Im trying to build a complete computer system after being
PAINFULLY dissapointed by the
type of systems, and information available at del.com andpcworld..

the only AMD porcessors i can find are 64bit, and would eat up my entire
computer budget.

pc world.. well, dont get me started !
del.com !!!
they have this function where you can chose your hardware, custom built pc.
options.. you can have any CPU aslong as its a Pentium4, Any Graphics
card aslong as its an integrated intel-507b63@!&^B or C.

AGH !

so, being a Linux Freak, i have certain requirements... basically, the
graphics card HAS to be a nvidia.
i've never bought any cutting edge graphics cards, so lets assume the
new PCI Express cards are out of my proce range.
but i currently have a GeForce 4 440 MX.. so it has to be an upgrade,
possably a FX5xxx series.

i recently tried to buy a Athlon 2000+ as a replacement to a melted CPU
(that melted because pc-world offered to "fix" my pc, and overclocked it
in the process) from microdirect.co.uk. they prommised 3 day delivery...
a month later its still "awaiting dispatch" been promised a refund, but
still nothing, excuses, and AGH ! DEATH to microdirect..

lets just say after that, im not comfortable buying a whole pc in parts
from smaller online company's

a Computer Fair would be great.. im not after cutting edge technology,
just... a system that can run doom3 for example.

definatly AGP 8.

i dont care much about 64bit processors, but if i am going 64bit, it HAS
to be 64bit AMD, not intel (the AMD64 nividia drivers are up to date,
the Intel ones are very out dated)

as for 32bit.. AMD would be great, but i could settle on an intel.
(alsong as someone decoded the FSB's for me.. AMD 300Mhz FSP = intels's
800Mhz... impossably fast !? WHAT TF !)

anyways.. after ALLL of that describing...
can someone let me know where i could find some dates / places of a
computer fair ?

or recomend a good retailer ?

I remmber when Graphics cards were important, and advertised... VOODOO 3
!!!!!.. but now, all they tell you about gaphics cards, is that they
have 64Megs of memory, not a mention or PCI / AGP / AGP speed / PCI
express... and if you want the name of the GPU chipset, your some kind
of hardware porn star.

lol.. i know this looks like a rant... but i DO want some good advice on
where to buy / where i might find out the places and dates of a computer
fair.

THANKYOU guys and gurls.