[Nottingham] distro chance

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Mon Jun 7 15:37:50 BST 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 03:29:47PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Optimised compiling might gain you up to a 10% performance boost in
> general. Some computation type stuff might gain as much as a 200%
> speedup. All highly variable.

Or you might hit the optimisation option that reduces performance.
cf http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/50924
and http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/50953

I think it's a really hard thing to get right and I'm not going to spend
my life trying :)

Simon.

--
* "Ok, I think we got off on the wrong foot here"                   *
| "That's all you got lady.  Two wrong feet and fucking ugly        |