[Nottingham] Installation problems - Mandrake 10

David Aldred laptop at familyaldred.org.uk
Sun Jun 27 22:26:16 BST 2004

Hello again...

Now that I'm happy with Linux on the laptop, I've been trying it on one
of the other machines here (my son's), and run into some problems.

First of all, it must be said that this machine has been unhappy under
Windows - frequent bluescreens with the Windows error messages
indicating it might be something to do with IRQ's.  The messages aren't
particularly informative, though.

If the problem was Windows related, one option was to try Linux and see
if it was happier.  But we can't even get Mandrake to install.

Trying to boot from installation CD 1 simply doesn't work.  Using CD 2
works, then says it can't find a valid Mandrake installation disk.  If
at this stage we put in CD 1, it seems to start installing - then
crashes with a 'fatal error' message saying it can't find
/usr/bin/runinstall2.  That file does exist on the CD, under a /Mandrake
directory, rather than under the root.  Trying using a floppy disk to
start the process gets us to the same place!

The only advice we found on the internet was to try with BIOS
plug'n'play detection disabled. but that hasn't improved things.

Any ideas, anyone?
--
|\avid Aldred   / David at familyaldred.org.uk  \   Nottingham, England