[Nottingham] Action required! New ("clandestine") EU Software Patent Legislation: a real threat for Linux and Open Source

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu May 13 17:00:04 BST 2004

Martin Garton wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2004, Martin wrote:
>
>>RIGHT! THAT'S IT!!
>
> Good! (It sounds like someone else is doing something about this.)

It still needs a lot more than my lone scream.

>>Now who's my MEP to sort out this nonsense...?
>>The more direct comment to the MEPs, the merrier.
>
> I have previously contacted Nick Clegg around the middle of last year. I
> don't know how much he really understood the issue, but the standard
> response that was apparently coming from all Liberal MEPs seemed to be
> reasonably favourable.
>
> However, I understand Nick Clegg will be standing down as MEP soon, so
> instead I have more recently contacted Bill Newton Dunn (also Liberal) who
[...]

Good notes. Still worth emailing/writing to them.

> Anyway, the upshot of all this is that rather than just contacting your
> MEP, it may do as much good right now to contact your MP asking him/her

That's Nick Palmer (Labour, email:NickMP1 at aol.com) for round here
(Broxtowe).

> request that the government explain why they are supporting the as yet
> unexplained view of the Microsoft sponsored Irish presidency over the
> openly debated view of the democratically elected European Parliament.

Excelent phrasing! (:-)) To be repeated...

Perhaps just replace "Microsoft" with "Multinational Corporate Proprietary".

[...]
> Let us know who you write to. I plan contacting my MP (Alan Simpson) as
> well as other MEPs.
>
> Remember also, that we are close to a European election where every vote
> counts (proportional rep.) and lots of people asking how MEPs would vote
> in a future reading of the bill might be a good idea.

Unfortunately, despite all the high ideals of democracy, its the old
problem of persuading people that they need to share some of their
selfishly focused time to get them to _do_ _something_ ...

Let the emails and letters fly
(That means YOU LOT ALSO.)

Regards,

martin at ml1.co.uk