[Nottingham] Laptop arrived - now for networking.....

Derek Huskisson derek at huskisson.free-online.co.uk
Sat May 15 15:51:29 BST 2004

On Saturday 15 May 2004 13:34, David Aldred wrote:

> So it seems that the Linux machine can see the Windows one.  Now, where
> should I be looking to find the XP machine's shares in some sort of file
> manager window?

As somebody mentioned earlier, if you've got SUSE, then you've got KDE as a
graphical manager. If you've got KDE then you've got Konqueror both as a
internet browser and as a file/network browser.

	Open up Konqueror. On the left hand side you should see a panel with icons
for 'Devices' and 'Lan Manager'. If you havn't got this panel then hit F9
then you will see it.

Click on the LAN manager icon and it should open-up eventually giving you a
list of the shares on both computers, which, given favourable permissions and
passwords will allow you to browse the contents.

Or you could use the shortcut suggested and enter "smb://198.128.0 11" or
"smb://198.128.0.1" in Konqueror's LOcation box.

						Derek