[Nottingham] A degree of success...

David Aldred laptop at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon May 24 23:43:03 BST 2004

With much kudos to all those who have been so helpful, this mail comes to you
from my laptop, via wireless networking and the internet connection on my XP
machine.  I can now get to shared directories on both the XP machines, they
can see shares on the laptop, and things are starting to make a lot more
sense!

My list of things to sort out is now down to (1) printing via the XP printer,
(2) setting things up so that all the network stuff (shares and so on) don't
need any manual involvement to start up (at the moment I'm sill logging in as
root and doing smbclient things), and (3) clearing up some of the mess I've
left around in getting this far (like unpleasantly open security settings on
XP, etc).   Bt unless anyone has a burning desire to share experience on
these things with me right now, I'll do some manual page reading before
screaming for help!

--
David Aldred
At a laptop running Linux