[Nottingham] A meeting suggestion - bring your problem machines

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 6 13:35:05 BST 2004

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 13:21, Robert Macaraeg wrote:
> Did I start a trend? I wish I could make tomorrows
> meeting, but family commitments conflict.  I have the
> problem notebook from the last meetingwith the hard
> disk problem, that I think was licked with a new hard
> drive. I can boot Knoppix from the CD with no
> problems. I like to burn an image of it to the hard
> drive. When I boot off the CD, I type in F2 to boot
> options, then type FB1024 X768 od to reformat the hard
> drive. The routine of scanning for hardware and auto
> configuring devices go on, then Knoppix comes up and
> all is well. Then I shut the notebook computer down
> and reboot with out the Knoppix CD and no joy. Am I
> doing something wrong or omitting a step?

I'm not familiar with the Knoppix boot option "od" -- there's much discussion
about hdd install on the knoppix forum
(http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=5). One technique that I
briefly tested (not sure if it works yet) was to use qparted to create an
ext3 partition on /dev/hda1 and then boot with "tohdd=/dev/hda1" (see the
Knoppix-cheatcodes document and the FAQ - both are on the knoppix CD).

Regards,
Michael.