[Nottingham] Linux in Church Office anxiety state

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Sep 4 22:44:00 BST 2004

Michael Leuty wrote:
[---]
> in the office are anxiously asking me What is this Linux Thing and Will
> It Work? I am just asking myself Will It Work?   :-)

Some great philosopher said that there is a first time for everything (;-))

> O ye of little faith...

Alleluia!

[---]
> firewall in each PC, will it still be possible to share printers and
> files between the three PCs?

If you have the relevant ports open, ofcourse yes.

Usual firewall defaults are that all _outgoing_ connections and their
related return connections are permitted. If you wish to 'advertise'
service ports, then you must open the relevant ports for new incoming
connections.

Easiest, is to configure the firewalls with Fedora's utils. Or use
Guarddog which has a nice GUI and tick boxes for everything.

(Shorewall is quite easy also (:-))

But then again, you're running linux, so no viruses in any case (:-))

Then again, could be embarrassing for some script kiddie to take over
your printer shares...

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk