[Nottingham] Re: Linux in Church Office anxiety state

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Sun Sep 5 21:28:27 BST 2004

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 21:15:38 +0100
Michael Leuty <mike at leuty.net> wrote:

> James and Peter suggested a separate firewall unit.

I didn't suggest a separate firewall unit, although that's a good solution
if you don't mind spending a bit of money!   You could set up a firewall
and NAT (network address translation) on one of the PCs, which would
become an 'Internet server'  and share internet access with the other
two PCs.  I did exactly this with shorewall myself until I bought my NAT
router (see below), and it worked nicely.

> I will probably get a firewall/router  unit to replace the existing simple
> hub. We can then have a trusted network and turn off all the software
> firewalls on the PCs. (Yes?)

Yes, that's what I've done (NAT router with built-in firewall) - works well
and allows me to play with my main desktop machine without depriving
my other two boxes of Internet access.

Regards
James