[Nottingham] Linux in the Office.

Steve Dickman stevedickman at fiskertonvcb.net
Tue Sep 7 08:54:13 BST 2004

Hi,

I've been subscribing to this list for a few months now and while the
inner workings of Linux are interesting, we now seem to be getting on to
more interesting topics, well for me at least!

I am a trying to set up a business in Information Management Consultancy
(as described in ISO17799) and have discovered that using Linux (and
other associated technologies) has distinct advantages in the field of
Information Security Management Systems - both for small and medium
businesses.

- less prone to attack, various reasons - less popular, open source,
inherent security structure etc.
- less risk in software piracy and theft - it's license free after all!
- lower total cost of ownership
- longer investment cycle in computer hardware

Notwithstanding the above, there are several hurdles to deployment

- ms inertia
- people's understandable fear of something new
- the misguided impression that they actually know how ms works!
- the rather esoteric way in which Linux/Unix is configured (One post
indicated that perhaps users could use the 'man' pages, even though they
contain way more information than equivalent ms pages - they need to be
html structured!)
- the (again) misguided impression that support for Linux is more
expensive - I find that this is caused by the fact that the CEO's nephew
tends to maintain the SME's systems and thinks he knows ms, ".. in the
land of the blind...".

I have spent the last 4 months removing every trace of ms from my three
systems (iMAC, 2 dell PCs -one XP, one Suse), however I'm still using ms
Office even on my Mac, so I have every sympathy with the secretaries in
the Church deployment being nervous. Versions of OO before 1.1.2 had
serious issues and the X11 for the Mac was very unstable, although I may
have another effort soon.

I am very interested in your experiences deploying Linux (and AMP) into
small to medium business, from how to convince management to deploy and
deployment issues you encountered. I am also interested in replacement
software that runs on Linux - such as a Visio equivalent, utilities
(such as backup and restore) that are easy to use for users - i.e.
desktop/browser UI - not shell.

Steve