[Nottingham] testing to stable on release day

Alex Tibbles alex_tibbles at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 16:50:49 BST 2004

 --- James Green <jkg at jimbo.org.uk> wrote:
> I think what you really really want to do is set all
> your sources lines
> to say "sarge" -- this will achieve what you
> described without any
> fretting on the release day :)

yup. But release day may be the least of your
problems...
... there are issues with migrating from woody to
sarge. Eg. on i386 (and another arch I can't recall)
there is a circular dependency (not in packaging but
in reality) between libc6 and (linux) kernel. I can't
remember off-hand if it affects 2.4, 2.6 or both, I'm
afraid. Googling for "sarge woody upgrade problem"
yields a fair few hits, so beware! Of course you would
do a test on a disposable system...

alex