[Nottingham] testing to stable on release day

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Fri Sep 17 11:25:14 BST 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 04:50:36PM +0100, Alex Tibbles wrote:
> yup. But release day may be the least of your problems...

Ooh FUD!  Yay!

> ... there are issues with migrating from woody to
> sarge. Eg. on i386 (and another arch I can't recall)
> there is a circular dependency (not in packaging but
> in reality) between libc6 and (linux) kernel. I can't
> remember off-hand if it affects 2.4, 2.6 or both, I'm
> afraid.

Right but this is actually just for 386 processors if I recall
correctly.

Got many of those still running stable do you?  Here's a nickel kid, go
buy yourself a bus ticket to a skip dive so you can get a better
computer ;)

If these machines are critical machines then I would certainly be
cautious and would say try the upgrade on just one first but I don't
think it's going to be the end of the world.  Once everything is frozen
for release (which still hasn't happened yet la la la) people will be
testing the dist-upgrade process and fixes for any real showstoppers
will no doubt be allowed in so it may be worth waiting if you can.

Also I don't /think/ security support for sarge has started yet though I
could be wrong.

Simon

--
... "Everybody, everybody's dead, everybody's dead Dave." - Holly