[Nottingham] testing to stable on release day

Alex Tibbles alex_tibbles at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 17 16:03:01 BST 2004

 --- Simon Huggins <huggie at earth.li> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 04:50:36PM +0100, Alex
> Tibbles wrote:
> > yup. But release day may be the least of your
> problems...
>
> Ooh FUD!  Yay!
I apologize for the Uncertainty (I think that anyone
running that many servers, which may well be
critically valuable should be cautious) and being so
short on details. To add some anecdotal evidence (and
probably increase the Uncertainty, sorry), I did
successfully upgrade three machines from stable to
testing (about a year ago, though).

> > ... there are issues with migrating from woody to
> > sarge. Eg. on i386 (and another arch I can't
> recall)
> > there is a circular dependency (not in packaging
> but
> > in reality) between libc6 and (linux) kernel. I
> can't
> > remember off-hand if it affects 2.4, 2.6 or both,
> I'm
> > afraid.
>
> Right but this is actually just for 386 processors
> if I recall
> correctly.
>
> Got many of those still running stable do you?
> Here's a nickel kid, go
> buy yourself a bus ticket to a skip dive so you can
> get a better
> computer ;)
I believe (but cannot verify) that a similar problem
affects powerpc too.

> If these machines are critical machines then I would
> certainly be
> cautious and would say try the upgrade on just one
> first but I don't
> think it's going to be the end of the world.  Once
> everything is frozen
> for release (which still hasn't happened yet la la
> la) people will be
> testing the dist-upgrade process and fixes for any
> real showstoppers
> will no doubt be allowed in so it may be worth
> waiting if you can.
exactly.

> Also I don't /think/ security support for sarge has
> started yet though I
> could be wrong.
Can't find any indication otherwise. Judging by this
http://www.infodrom.org/~joey/log/?200408230851 there
will be no support for sarge qua testing, only for
sarge qua stable. I guess that the release will
prevent infrastructure for testing-security being
fixed.

alex