[Nottingham] BT Voyager modem and Debian - PCI ADSL

Peter Woods peterwoods at f2s.com
Wed Sep 22 18:04:28 BST 2004

I have / had a PCI ADSL card with a Conexant
chipset.

It is called "Access Runner" and is quite
cheap from Dabs.

It worked on u-no-wot after spotting the
(deliberate?) mistake in the installation
manual.
Substitute LAN/WAN as the case may be.

I know it works on Linux, because I had it
going on Mandrake 9.1.
(Not totally successfully, but the comms
worked; closedown was a problem.)
However, I couldn't compile it on 9.2 because
GCC
changed (and I'm not experienced enough to
sort it.)
I have e-mails from various smug ***s saying
"It works for me / with GCC 3* / etc"
but they never tell how to actually do it.

I now have an Ethernet router ADSL box. cost
about £55 plus an ethernet card.
Worked first time plugged in.
(Also Conexant but with a secret password you
need to set up the box - so secret, it's
not mentioned in the "manual." Clue:
conexant.)
WiFi versions of these things are not much
more costly, but I've not tried.

HTH
Pete