[Nottingham] Bibliographic software

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Sep 27 13:02:24 BST 2004

Iain Moppett wrote:
> Join the club: I too am thesis writing and I'm ashamed to say I'm
> having to use the workround of writing everything in OOW, and
> occasionally reinserting the unformatted references from Endnote in
> Windows ({author, year, #no}).  The only software I could find was
> for Tex. ---

Take a look at using a simple TEXT editor and LaTeX to format your
thesis. For something large like thesis bashing, LaTeX is much faster
than trying to do everything WYSIWIG. You can get your words and refs
in, mark where graphics should go, and then let the computer do all the
hard formatting tasks for you. There are previewers to let you see how
it looks at any time. You get text-book quality (or better) results.

For one example, 'data entry' took a 'long' time. Formatting and
tweaking was completed in less than two days, including refs.

There's various support for refs included. The indexing and glossary
stuff are nice also.

It even ran on an old 233MHz machine (:-))

OK, so I'll recommed the LaTeX (non-WYSIWIG) route.

(I've still got the specials for a customised Nottingham format.)

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk