[Nottingham] Documentation...

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Fri Aug 19 15:34:31 BST 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 15:24 +0100, Martin wrote:

> Sort of...
>
> I script up the important stuff into a bash script that either automates
> the tweaks, or can be run, or at least acts as an 'aide memoir'.
>
> Bits of paper get lost. Self documentation "README.txt" seem to be a
> good idea.

That sounds much the same as me.

Also, when I make config changes that consist of changing a few things
in a default config file, I usually keep a copy of the diff in svn
somewhere.  It makes it easier to see what you have changed and makes
things simple if you want to apply the changes on other machines etc.

When I have the same tweak to make on many machines (e.g., at work) I
sometimes build an rpm with an already patched config inside it.
Obviously you would need another approach with non-rpm based distros.

--
Martin.