[Nottingham] Help wanted in Hucknall

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Tue Dec 20 16:59:20 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 15:49 +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Dave Chapman wrote:
> > Last week I dropped off a box at my parents house in Hucknall it has OpenSUSE
> > 10 installed on it.  What I need is someone to go round and get them connected.
>
> I hope you found somebody to help you;  IIRC the modems from NTL come with
> an ethernet lead so if they could manage to plug this in it should just
> work.  Even if the "engineer" does this and then the machine boots up
> running something other than Windows it should still work and DHCP
> automagically.
>
> 	-Paul

When I did this some years ago, they used to lock the MAC address that
the router would talk to as the first one it finds. As such you cant
configure with a windows box and then just plug a linux box in there.
You need to either dual-boot or install windows/install linux on that
box, or possibly easier put the card in a windows box, configure, move
to linux box.

--
Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games
http://www.tuxgames.com