[Nottingham] TOMORROW: Wed 19th of January Meet

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Jan 28 17:12:23 GMT 2005

Just thought you might like to know, that following this talk I've just swapped to the newest mandrake (rather than RH9) at home, and will be trying to eeek out the time to do so work. So far, liking the urpmi, and the look and features seem quite appealing. I think Martin's 'which distro' was right on the mark; ok so the user needs to make their own decision, but knowing the particular specialty of a distro (server, gaming, workstation...) is really useful in making that decision.

Belated thanks Martin,

Dave

>>> martin at ml1.co.uk 01/18/05 8:46 pm >>>
Folks,

Reminder for TOMORROW (Wed)

> The first talk of the year is a 'Newbie Friendly':
>
> "What distro" and "Installing"
> ==============================
>
> 19:30 meet at our usual Sharespace, for 19:45 talk.
>
> I'm slightly biased towards Mandrake but will cover equally the other
> main distros. Others are welcome to give comment and advice on the night.
>
> This is to give all an idea of what the Linux distros are and how they
> are different. Also, a few pointers will be given on what to look out
> for when installing onto your prize hardware.
>
> Come and see how it all can work and be fun.
>

> Followed by 21:15 at The Salutation (one of the ground floor small rooms
> or somewhere upstairs).
>

> All welcome, newbies and sys admins alike!
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>

> (Links and more verbiage later!)

For all between Mandrake, many others, to Gentoo and anything else out
there!

See you folks there,

ps: And can one of the NLUGers put this up on our web page please?

martin at ml1.co.uk