[Nottingham] Re: Social / website / Wireless Router - questions, any recommendations?

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Tue Mar 22 18:40:20 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 02 Mar 2005 19:49, Steve Dickman wrote:
> David,
>
> you can buy stuff out there that are a router, wireless access point and
> firewall combined. Linksys WRt54G are pretty good giving you a four port
> switch as well as an AP.

Thanks - it arrived today...

Just two things I'm stuck with:

Using DHCP, the addresses allocated to machines vary.  The router doesn't seem
to pick up any hostname when allocating a DHCP lease - is there any way of
making it do so?  I need to be able to ssh between machines within the house,
and so need eiter a static IP or a hostname!  (I haven't yet tried switching
off the DHCP functions of the router entirely - does this just leave me back
with a static IP network?  Might be the long-term answer...)

Secondly, is it possible to ssh in from a machine outside the local network to
one inside it?  An ssh to the IP provided by the ISP is presumably going to
try to connect to the router - how does it know where to forward it to within
the network?

--
David Aldred