[Nottingham] KDE 3.4 problems

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sat Mar 26 14:52:37 GMT 2005

> I've just completed a KDE upgrade (3.2.3 -> 3.4) on Mandrake 10.1 and have
> run into a couple of problems:

[...]
> Second, on entering username and pass and clicking 'login'. X would
> promptly crash, then restart, bringing up a fresh login screen. Any
> further attempt to login caused another crash, etc.
>
> I discovered I could get round this by booting to runlevel 3, logging in at
> the prompt and running startx; this automatically also started KDE, which
[...]

I had this once long long ago.

First thing to try is to delete all the files in /tmp and ~/tmp.

If still no-go, then mv ~/.kde to something innocuous and let kde
recreate whatever junk it needs.

If you're getting the "greeter exited unexpectedly" log message, then
the problem is with kdm, but it sounds like you're beyond that stage.

Also check /var for any stray 'lock' files.

> The second problem concerns the K-menu. I'd had a minor problem with it for

The KDE upgrade and menus duplicates have been discussed on
alt.os.linux.mandrake recently. Try Google Groups.

Good luck,
Martin

----------   OS? What's that?!               (Martin_285 on Mandrake)
- Martin -   To most people, "Operating System" is unknown & strange.
- 53N 1W -   Mandrake 10.1 GNU Linux - An OS for Supercomputers & PCs
----------   http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en-gb/concept.php3

(;-))

martin at ml1.co.uk