[Nottingham] KDE 3.4 problems

Peter Aldred peter at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon Mar 28 12:48:30 BST 2005

On Saturday 26 March 2005 14:52, Martin wrote:
> > Second, on entering username and pass and clicking 'login'. X would
> > promptly crash, then restart, bringing up a fresh login screen. Any
> > further attempt to login caused another crash, etc.
> >
> > I discovered I could get round this by booting to runlevel 3, logging
> > in at the prompt and running startx; this automatically also started
> > KDE, which
>
> [...]
>
> I had this once long long ago.

[...]

Thanks for the pointers. I eventually found a solution online - switching
to gdm instead of mdkkdm/kdm/xdm appears to dodge the problem, so it
appears that the problem was the display manager after all. What was wrong
with it, I don't know, but it's working now and I'm not too bothered about
using gdm instead.

> > The second problem concerns the K-menu. I'd had a minor problem with
> > it for
>
> The KDE upgrade and menus duplicates have been discussed on
> alt.os.linux.mandrake recently. Try Google Groups.

So far my searches there have revealed little :) I have fixed most of the
problem, more by fluke than anything else - the 'duplicate entries' issue
was fixed via the 'menus -> menu style' section of the MCC; switching from
'All apps' menu to 'original (KDE/Gnome)' menu  and back again must have
forced a rebuild or something, as the duplicates went.

One problem remains - all of the KDE config utils are missing from the
menu, and is drakconf. Menudrake believes they're there; they are
installed (will run from the prompt) they just don't show up. The only
thing I can think of is that many of the missing entries show up in
menudrake in blue, i.e not set across all environments - is it possible
that somehow the wrong menu for the KDE environment is being used?

Thanks again,
--
Peter Aldred