[Nottingham] Secure deletion of files

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Wed May 25 18:00:50 BST 2005

A question arising from a discussion at work: how secure is deletion of files
in Linux?

Specifically, if I'm working on something for my employer using my own PC, and
need it completely deleted and irrecoverable afterwards, can I do that?

And is there any way of doing it retrospectively, if I were to forget at the
time and simply delete the file in the usual way?

(The video about security which triggered the discussion suggested a way of
securely deleting your files under Windows, which would be better than
nothing but still not particularly secure - and illustrated it with a video
of someone working on a Mac!).

--
David Aldred