[Nottingham] Blackbox probs

Johannes Kling jok at printk.net
Tue May 31 11:13:21 BST 2005

Hello,

> Got Blackbox installed, version 0.65.0-3 on Kubuntu 5.04 (with
> multiverse and universe sources).
>
> First impressions : fast but ALOT of configuration will be required. So
> I've psyched myself up for this.
>
> Anyway first problem : No ~/.blackbox was created - so I created one and
> configured a menu file. Details below.

Have a look in your .blackboxrc; it should contain a line something
like this:

session.menuFile:       /home/foo/.blackbox/blackbox-menu

which is where blackbox looks for its menu. If that's missing, it'll
use the system default (where that is varies between distributions,
but see below). Just modify or add it as necessary; make sure you
"restart" blackbox through its menu after making changes, otherwise
whatever you changed in there will be overwritten when bb exits (see
the RESOURCE FILE section in bb's manpage).

(Beware that on Debian (and presumably it's descendants as well),
there's an unpleasant thing called "menu" (*) which occasionally
intereferes with the menu.)

> Rebooted - didn't work.

You'll never have to do more than restart blackbox for changes to take
effect.

Regards,
  Jo

(*) Yes, it's nice in theory, but it means dealing with YA way of doing
    things for reasons most people probably don't care about.