[Nottingham] Challenge-Response systems

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Fri Nov 4 09:41:37 GMT 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 09:28 +0000, Andy Brown wrote:

> Personally I don't think CR systems are ever going to stop spam anyway
> (and could make things worse because of the extra traffic generated).
> And requiring a graphical browser for the confirmation strikes me as
> extremely unfriendly, not to mention possibly breaking certain
> accessibility requirements.

I agree. All they do is take a large inconvenience for the receiver
(i.e. spam) and force a smaller inconvenience onto each sender instead.

If everyone used challenge-response the overall inconvenience of using
email would be worse than the burden of having to properly install and
configure spam filtering.

--
Martin.