[Nottingham] Broadband and Linksys routers

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Wed Sep 14 13:06:47 BST 2005

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 09:46:02AM +0100, martin lowther wrote:
> I use a linksys router aswell and the gui configuration is simple and
> works - if you get the g version u can flash it with a version of
> linux if you are so inclined.

Like Andy I would caution against the Linksys WAG54G.  I'm guessing here
what you've got though is the WRT54G which is entirely different.

See: http://openwrt.org/

> I have used NTL broadband for a few years now without any problems,
> their customer service is improving and is nowhere near as bad as it
> used to be.

Mmm, that figures.  The WRT54G doesn't have any ADSL/cable modem parts
in it but you'd be able to use it as a router or an access point.  The
WAG54G does but is appalling.

Lots of people seem now to be marketing "routers" which just allow
people to share internet connections provided by another device and
provide DHCP and maybe a firewall etc.  I was a bit surprised at that
last time I was shopping for an ADSL router.

Simon.

--
* There was a young man from LeDoux,                                *
| Whose limericks stopped at line two.                              |