[Nottingham] NTL Nottingham Network Changes (& elsewhere?)

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Thu Apr 6 21:23:11 BST 2006

On 06/04/06, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
> I was clobbered today by NTL's broadband network replumbings, and my
> Linux box and modem didn't automatically recover.

Thanks for letting us know. I had some bother a day or two ago, which
I thought was due to my inveterate distro fiddling.

> The changes are for load balancing across their network and to offer an
> upgrade to 10Mbit/s downlink, 512kbit/s uplink. This should "magically"
> become enabled at some time, presumably at no extra charge but with some
> sort of quota limits and new terms of use.

I tried the 10M service for a few months: it was most impressive and I
regularly got about 8M down and 500k up. But it proved a bit expensive
so I have gone back to 2M which is said to be unlimited.

At some point I may be given the choice of staying at 2M unlimited or
going back up to 10M limited. My problem is that I have no idea how
much I download per month. Is there some sort of linux widget which
would monitor that sort of thing?

Mike

--
Michael Leuty