[Nottingham] Tux Magazine - good for new users + #nlug

Alan Pope alan.pope at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 16:06:22 GMT 2006

On 03/02/06, Michael Erskine <msemtd at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Secondly, the massive lag on the mailing list means that this might not reach
> you all for days! I can confirm that the mailman machine at lug,org.uk is
> also the web server (the one named "xinit") and it _isn't_ under a massive
> CPU load. There's a few nastly looking kernel messages in the ring buffer
> (dumped via dmesg(1))...
>
>     Slab corruption: (Not tainted) start=c2c61000, len=4096
>
>     TCP: Treason uncloaked! Peer 209.159.161.211:61701/80 shrinks window
> 1220835898:1220837358. Repaired.

Indeed. This is exactly the reason mail and web on that box is slow.
Many packets are dropped and so retransmissions occur. If the box is
under heavy network load then it clearly gets worse.

> ...oh well, we are assured that the machine will be upgraded at some point in
> the future,  which I'm sure will happen -- eventually!

Don't underestimate the work going on in the background to get this
done. You're not the only LUG experiencing this. It's painful I know,
but is being worked on.

The new host (dnuk.lug.org.uk) is now in its rack. Some of the config
is done, some more is left to do. Hopefully this will happen over the
next week or so.

Cheers,
Al.