[Nottingham] Non-destructive partitioning?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Mar 5 19:58:17 GMT 2006

David Aldred wrote:
[---]
> running without the recent updates.   At present, I'd like to try to solve
> the issues with the othe distro rather than leave Mandriva unpatched long
> term.

That should be no problem for the time it will take Mandriva to properly
fix things.

Thanks for letting us know. I happen not to have run the updates yet.

[---]
> Is there any Linux utility which will non-destructively split an ext3
> partition?

The Mandriva installer can do that. Run the installation, select
"custom" for your partitions and rearrange at your ease. Let it write
the changes to the HDD table (likely on the "advanced button") and then
just reboot (RESET button or CTL-ALT-DEL) rather than continue with the
Mandriva install.

If you're juggling the partitions, then its best to use fdisk or
sfdisk(?) to correct the table entry order afterwards. (Unless Mandriva
have fixed that quirk finally.)

*MAKE A FULL BACKUP FIRST INCLUDING THE PARTITION TABLE* !

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk