[Nottingham] TV cards and Linux

Peter Chang Peter.Chang at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 12 20:22:56 BST 2006

Hi Hazel,

Have you checked out the mythtv.org web site? See
 http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html#ss3.1

There's also a wiki on Linux supported DVB-T (that's the broadcasting
standard that Freeview uses) cards at
 http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I run mythtv at home but record off ntl rather than Freeview. It works
okay to a certain extent - only the video output is a little poor but
that's only noticeable on fast-changing scenes. Not sure if it's the
Plextor encoding box or the cheapo ATI graphics card. It's a quietish
Pentium-M shuttle pc running FC4 with ATrpms addons. Took me a few weeks
to get everything working though that was mainly because I worked on it a
hour here and there sporadically. Issues included USB IR transceiver,
Plextor ConvertX PVR, IR remote control, ATI PCIe card replacing on-board
Intel graphics owing to a lack of modesetting and TV output support, and
finally configuing mythtv.

I wouldn't recommend it for the faint-hearted but if you're technically
competent, confident and got a bit of spare time to research and hack,
it's a worthwhile project.

Peter