[Nottingham] PCI SATA adapter (or backup suggestions)

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Tue Apr 10 17:54:53 BST 2007

On 10 Apr 2007, at 17:40, Graeme Fowler wrote:

> a) has kernel-included drivers
> b) has four or more ports
> c) doesn't attempt to do fakeraid
> d) doesn't cost the earth... limited budget!

I evaluated six different pci sata controllers, two years ago.  Back
then the 3-ware cards were best, but not very cheap.  Since then, 3-
ware brought out some 2x port cards which I remember being much cheaper.

Warning: The 9550 cards did not seem stable on the 3w-9xxx Linux
driver, but the 9500s were great and will be cheaper now that they're
not the top of the range model.  Alternatively, there's an 8000
series which will probably be equivalent on a desktop system to the
9000 series.

For backups, I just use a usb external drive (but should actually do
a backup run more often!).  I intend to use BackupPC - http://
www.howtoforge.com/linux_backuppc - when I get enough spare time, and
a dedicated box hosted for the job.

cheers