[Nottingham] SanDisk

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Thu Aug 30 19:22:01 BST 2007

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 09:48:37 +0100 (BST)
Ron Wilton <ron_w_add at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi James
>
> Here's the transcript:-
>
> ron at ron-desktop:~$ cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage/0
> Host scsi0: usb-storage
> Vendor: SanDisk
> Product: ImageMate 14 in 1 Reader/Writer
> Serial Number: 0000000000
> Protocol: Transparent SCSI
> Transport: Bulk
> Quirks:
>
> There was only the one file in this directory.

Thanks, Ron.

Now I appreciate from other replies in this thread that there are other
ways to skin this particular cat, but this one should work, and will
tie in with the entry you've already added to fstab.

As root, create a file called 10-local.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d,
containing the following line:

BUS=="usb", SYSFS{serial}=="0000000000", KERNEL=="sd*", NAME="%k",
SYMLINK="smartcard%n"

If you already have a file of that name there, then just add the line
to it. That's a single line by the way, in case my mailer has split it.

Now, once you've done that, remove the USB connection to the reader if
it's plugged in, then reconnect it (with the memory card in the slot).

You should find that a device called /dev/smartcard1 turns up .. can
you let us know if that happens?

James