[Nottingham] Dell disappointment

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Sun Dec 9 12:56:13 GMT 2007

I'm disappointed by Dell and their Ubuntu laptops. A friend bought one
on my recommendation and I went round a few days after it arrived to
see how he was getting on and to set up his internet connection.

The laptop has a wide screen (1680×1050) but it was set up as
1280x1024 which meant that text was blurry and pictures had that
squashed look. I googled for a solution, which involved installing a
deb-file and editing a text file. Hey presto! Sharp pictures and fonts
you could cut your fingers on. Easy for me, but my friend could never
have done it. Indeed, he hadn't realised there was a problem.

Otherwise he is very happy with LInux, which he has been running (on
much older hardware) for nearly two years.

ASUS and their Eee look more promising for Linux reaching the mass market.

Mike

--
Michael Leuty
Nottingham, UK