[Nottingham] Dell disappointment

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Dec 9 13:10:43 GMT 2007

Michael Leuty wrote:
> I'm disappointed by Dell and their Ubuntu laptops. A friend bought one
[---]
> The laptop has a wide screen (1680×1050) but it was set up as
> 1280x1024 which meant that text was blurry and pictures had that
> squashed look. I googled for a solution, which involved installing a
> deb-file and editing a text file. Hey presto! Sharp pictures and fonts
[---]

Good find. Have you emailed Dell support to get their act together? They
may genuinely be unaware of any problem for that particular model.

Unfortunately, it's that sort of thing that will give Linux a bad press.

> ASUS and their Eee look more promising for Linux reaching the mass market.

My thoughts also. Especially so in that Windows will be a poor fit due
to excessive bloat and restrictions...

martin at ml1.co.uk