[Nottingham] MS Vista news - you'll like this

David Rice d.rice at zeda.co.uk
Thu Jan 18 15:02:59 GMT 2007

I've been lurking for a while without contributing but thought you would
like this - it was forwarded to me by a colleague.

OK, don't laugh, but here is a list of Visual Studio products and
whether or not they are supported under Vista

*	Visual Basic 6.0 (supported)
*	Visual Studio .NET 2002 (not supported)
*	Visual Studio .NET 2003 (not supported)
*	Visual Studio 2005 (supported, but will have "compatibility
issues" until some nebulous set of post-SP1 fixes ships)

So, unbelievably, not even the latest version of VS is supported (but if
you are still on VB6 you are OK !!).

Scott Guthrie (for Microsoft), offers a bit of clarity (not) for the
situation in a comment posted on a blog.

"VS 2003 will mostly work on Vista. What we are saying, though, is that
there will be some scenarios where VS 2003 doesn't work (or work well)
on Vista -- hence the reason it isn't a supported scenario," Guthrie
writes, adding that Vista will support .NET 1.1 at runtime.

Unfortunately this rule's Vista out for anyone who needs to support any
sort of .Net 1.1 development.  We can't have a situation where UM want
some urgent fix to the SMS Gateway only for us to find out that this is
all wrapped up in one of these vague "scenarios where VS 2003 doesn't
work well (or work well) on Vista".

In fact, I did see that Microsoft have said that its not a problem as
"you can do you VS 2003 development in a Virtual PC".........to which my
answer would be w at nkers <mailto:w at nkers>  ;-)

Regards

David Rice
Analyst Programmer

Tel:          +44 (0)115 977 6652
Fax:         +44 (0)115 977 6740
Email:       d.rice at zeda.co.uk

 <http://www.zeda.com/>  	managing
business risk
with technology
services
www.zeda.com <http://www.zeda.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail is confidential to the addressee. It may also be privileged. Neither the confidentiality nor any privilege attaching to this e-mail is waived lost or destroyed by reason that it has been mistakenly transmitted to a person or entity other than the addressee. If you are not the addressee please notify us immediately by telephone or fax at the numbers provided above or e-mail by Reply To Author and return the printed e-mail to us by post at our expense. We believe, but do not warrant, that this e-mail and any attachments are virus-free, but you should check. We may monitor traffic data of both business and personal e-mails. We are not liable for any opinions expressed by the sender where this is a non-business e-mail. If you do not receive all the message, or if you have difficulty with the transmission, please telephone us immediately
Company name in full:  Zeda Limited
Place of registration: England and Wales
Company number:  01289964
Registered office:  Peterbridge House, The Lakes, Northampton, NN4 7HB