[Nottingham] Problems recording in stereo

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 13:52:42 GMT 2007

Dan Robertson wrote:
> Hi

Best is to start a new thread by using "New" or "Write" rather than
doing a "reply" to an existing thread about vacuum cleaners...

> I'm trying to record music from an analogue source via
> the line in jack and have been trying a variety of
> programs in Ubuntu (Sound Recorder, GLAME, Audacity)
> with no joy. I can record in mono fine, but I seem
> unable to record in stereo. It doesn't seem to be the
> connection because I can play through the soundcard in
> stereo. I used to be able to record in stereo OK when
> I used Windows - anyone know what's happening?

Try finding a "mixer" app for your sound so that you can un-mute
whatever inputs and enable stereo or whatever.

Sorry, don't know off-hand what the Gnome-mixer is called. Anyone else?
Try looking in the multimedia menus and/or applications selection.

And welcome to Linux!

Good luck,

martin at ml1.co.uk