[Nottingham] Opensuse 10.3 cold booting problems

Hazel Windle hazel at hazeldle.wanadoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 21:24:22 GMT 2008

Hello,

I'm having an annoying little problem with my OpenSuse 10.3 machine. It also
runs Windows XP on a second hard drive. When I start my PC after it hasn't
been on for a while it will start the Grub bootloader as normal, the menu
timer runs out and then there's just a blank screen. I press the restart
button and it boots fine then. Or if I leave the grub menu on for a minute
and then select the OS I want it boots fine then. It doesn't do the same
thing on Windows and it only started doing this when I upgraded from Suse
10.2. I'm not even sure whether it's a hardware or software problem. I tried
Googling for the answer but to no avail. Oh and the machines quite new, I
only built it in November 2006 and it's worked fine since and I've checked
the voltages coming from the power supply in the BIOS.

Hazel Windle