[Nottingham] Problem running slappasswd in centos5

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 13:59:37 BST 2008

Hi Pat,

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 1:50 PM, gadget.pat <gadget.pat at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Can you tell me what I am doing wrong. I am trying to create a md5 password
> for the use of openldap. I have done this before on Suse and had no problem
> creating one there but I just get the message "slappasswd command not
> found..." in centos5.
>
> The files appear to be there in /usr/sbin/ (although they look like links to
> the files needed)and I have installed the files for openldap, bind and the
> cyrus files which I thought would solve the issue but to no joy. What am I
> doing wrong in centos or what else do I need to download to be able to
> create an md5 password?

You're half way there. Red Hat, and it's derivatives (Fedora, CentOS,
etc) don't include sbin in the default path.
You'll need to run /sbin/slappasswd or, alternatively, add sbin to your path.
Personally I like to leave sbin out of my default users path as having
to prefix /sbin/ to the command helps to remind me I'm doing something
"serious".

Also note that the root user has sbin in their path by default so you
can always su - or su -c"slappasswd".

- J

--
Joshua Lock